What you never knew, but wish you did
Lesson Plans & Instructor help
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Astronomy applets http://astro.unl.edu/ A nice set of applets to use to explain and demonstrate astronomy concepts. All are downloadable and useable off-line.
The public connection to everything NASA does. This is the main NASA site:
- NASA Education Support Network
resources, workshops, facilitators. See list of regions and
Broker/Facilitators. Another list
- NOTE: NASA has regional Education Resource
Centers. Do a search for ERC at the
NASA Home site to bring up
a list. There doesn't seem to be a central web site for these.
- Astronomical Databases & Images
- Goals for Astronomy 101 http://www.aas.org/education/aasprojects/workshop101.html
Astronomy workshop results from Astronomical Society of the Pacific
and a website list for educators from ASP http://www.astrosociety.org/education/resources/educsites.html
- ehelper.com http://www.edhelper.com/
Mostly elementary through middle school. All subject areas.
- DLESE - Digital Library for Earth Systems Education
http://www.dlese.org/dds/index.jsp Look for lessons, curriculum,
courses, etc. here.
- American Astronomical Society http://www.aas.org/education/
AAS education department
- Washington State University Astronomy Dept. http://www.astro.washington.edu/labs/clearinghouse/index.html
A great resource for lecture notes, images, activities, and more. Wouldn't
it be nice if everybody's astronomy department was this organized?
- National Institute for Science Education http://www.wcer.wisc.edu/nise/cl1/
Aimed a college level education.
- Celestia http://shatters.net/celestia/.You NEED this. Celestia is FREE software that allows you to navigate
through the solar system and the rest of space. Works very well, but
needs a high power machine.
has many add-ons and free lesson plans developed by other teachers and the
Celestia developers. There is
a users discussion group here http://shatters.net/forum/.
- Astronomy Education Resources from Cornell U.
http://astro.cornell.edu/outreach.html A fully searchable
data base of activities, lesson plans, etc.
- The Science Mission Directorate Space Science
Education Resource Directory
convenient way to find NASA space science products for use in classrooms,
science museums, planetariums, and other settings.
- Astronomy/Planets for Kids http://www.planetsforkids.org/ Kid friendly site about planets.
- Astronomy Demonstrations Here
is a list of websites with demonstrations to help with understanding of
concepts in astronomy. No JAVA stuff here. These are all things
you can actually do! Unfortunately what is here is not very
extensive. I know some great stuff is being done out there, but there
doesn't seem to be web resources or books for it - yet.
Study Resource http://studyres.com/catalog/Science/Astronomy It is not clear who produced this, but there are resources here on all disaplines. The link takes you to the Astronomy resources.
Animation demonstrations (stuff you don't actually do, just
Get your coffee, here's the JAVA stuff:
Expand you knowledge and build stuff
there Help in finding Lat and Long, sun and moon
Slides, Video, Digital Media
- Massimo Vicentini:
Graphic work and models for scientific visualization
http://www.mogi-vice.com/index-english.html A very nice set of avi
Astronomy only, so a good place to look. VHS, Video laser disk, slides,
planetarium production supplies
- NASA CORE
Video, slides, software, print media
Videos, CD, DVD, Slides (35mm transparencies)
Educational video, DVD, CD-ROM
- Scientific Visualization Studios
Goddard Space Flight Center's animation studio. Lots of animations
based on NASA science.
- Sky Image Labs
A commercial site that is a good resource for free downloadable images as
well as prints and transparencies that can be purchased.
A list of Java applets for astronomy.
Not Necessarily Astronomy Teacher Pages
The Black Hole
- This takes you to another of my pages. It's not about black holes.
Its about the dark places the mind can go. Some really weird things
here. The Black Hole
- Debunker.com Helping to
find the truth.
last modified: 21-Nov-2017